If you’re like me… There are the new year resolutions… Mine are a bit more unique in that my birthday is December 31st so the time to make changes has a bit more emphasis…
Today as I’m doing my morning prayers (yahoo Jan 1 box tick), I re-read a verse I added just a couple days ago…
James 1:22 (NLT):“Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.”
and it smacks of resolution accountability with God! Oh man! Doh! Ugh! Are you kidding me?!? I can’t do this… I blow it way to often… There is no way I can fulfill this… I may as well just give up now…
Then a couple of morning prayers later I also have this fairly new addition:
1 Cor 10:31 (NLT): So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God
(I’m a food addict… And while I added this verse I “held off” until January 1st)
These are some of my instant thoughts… darn it, now I have to live like this commands to all the self doubt thoughts that my mental health defaults to…
My spirit desires it… Of course I want to do this and please God! When I’m in close contact with Him my mental health issues are diminished…
My mental health is screaming around inside my head… Unrealistic! Impossible! Don’t even try, you know you will fail…
It’s times like these when I can use scripture to battle my thoughts – just like Jesus did…
Matthew 4:10 (ESV) Then Jesus said to him, “Be gone, Satan! For it is written, “‘You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only shall you serve…
My battle verses:
I seek God’s presence:
- Psalms 46:10 (NIV) He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
I proclaim my freedom from Satan:
- 1 Cor 1:13 (NLT): For You have rescued me from the DOMINION of DARKNESS and brought me into the kingdom of Your Son whom You love, and in whom I have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
- 1 Th 5:5 (NLT): For you are all children of the light and of the day; WE DON’T BELONG to darkness and night.
I don’t fight alone:
- 2 Cor 12:9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. ” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that CHRIST’S POWER may rest on me.
I am equipped for battle:
- Ephesians 6:13–17 (NLT): Therefore, put on every piece of GOD’S ARMOR so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
I armed for battle:
- 2 Corinthians 10:3–5 (NLT): We are human, but we don’t wage war as humans do. We USE GOD’S MIGHTY WEAPONS, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments. We destroy every proud obstacle that keeps people from knowing God. We capture their rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ.
I don’t have to be afraid:
- John 14:27 (NLT): “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.
I can have indescribable peace:
- Phil 4:4–7 (NIV): Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
I have better things to think about:
- Phil 4:8 (NIV): Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
I know life is not a Hallmark movie… And I wish I could say that I’m batting a 1000 with what I have written above, but I’m not…
However, I do use it more and more… I know it works…
I do have DOH! times where I go… “Why didn’t I go to God with this (earlier)?”
There are frequent times of choosing to ignore that still small voice when it comes to food choices…
When I realize I’m turned the wrong way I ground myself then and there… I go for the Be still, remember back on “that peace”, His top 2 commandments* and
Micah 6:8 (NIV): He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God
*Matthew 22:37–39 (NIV): Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’